From now through the end of January 2013, traffic will be disrupted near Culver City as Metro relocates on-street and underground utilities for Phase II of the Expo Line from Culver City to Santa Monica. The work is slated to run from Nov. 7 through Jan. 31, 2013.
The construction will take place on Palms Boulevard between National Boulevard and Clarington Avenue from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. However, no work will take place during the holidays.
According to a Metro release, the construction activities will include:
Removing and relocating existing on-street and underground utilities at various points along the Expo Right of Way on Palms Boulevard. Major work activities will include saw cutting and removal of asphalt, excavation of soil, installation of new utilities, backfilling and asphalt restoration.
Commuters should expect the following traffic impacts:
- Palms Boulevard will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction between National Boulevard and Clarington Avenue intermittently during the work period.
- Left turns through the work area will be prohibited intermittently during the work period.
- Parking restrictions will be strictly enforced at all times and signage with specific restrictions will be in place in all construction areas.
- Electronic message boards, directional signage and/or flaggers will be used to maintain traffic flow and safely direct vehicles and pedestrians around the construction zone.
- Access to businesses and residences will be maintained throughout all construction activities.
- Noise levels will be monitored to ensure work performed is within the necessary compliance levels.