The Culver City Sister Committee will celebrate 50 years of operation Saturday with the unveiling of a plaque, followed by a day of festivities.
The unveiling will take place on Sat. Jan. 12 at 10 a.m. at the corner of Duquesne Avenue and Culver Boulevard and will include the following guests:
- Mayor Andy Weissman and the Culver City City Council
- Korean Political Affairs Consul Min Sik Ahn
- His Worship, Mayor Rajko Dodic, Lethbridge, Canada
- Nadia Scipio del Campo, Consul for Foreign Policy and Diplomacy from the Canadian Consul General’s Office
- Rocio Ortiz Corza – Director of International Affairs Office, Uruapan, Mexico
- Alfredo (Freddy) Ramirez Lopez – Head of Liaison and Agreements, Uruapan, Mexico
- Maria Teresa Garcia Tinoco – Director of Media, Uruapan, Mexico
- María de los Angeles Galindo Ayala – REGIDORA DE ASUNTOS MIGRATORIOS Y TRANSPARENCIA
- Harold Perverseff, president, Lethbridge Twinning Society
- Michael Bennett, director for Culver City, Lethbridge Twinning Society
- Terri DeMerchant, Lethbridge Twinning Society
- Dick Reimer, Lethbridge Twinning Society
- Sister City International Delegates
- Culver City Sister City Committee Delegates
The public is welcome and encouraged to attend.
The unveiling will be followed later in the afternoon by the Sister Cities’ ‘Around the World’ program from 1-3 p.m. inside the Veteran’s Memorial Auditorium building:
Pick up your PASSPORT at the Information Table and take it to each room, have it stamped and return it to the information table for a chance to win prizes. Winner does not need to be present.
Each room – Iksan Room, Lethbridge (Garden) Room, Kaizuka Room and Uruapan Room – will have displays from their respective countries, food taste offerings, crafts and cultural programming including story time/crafts by members of the Culver City Friends of the Library.
Lethbridge, Canada – The Legend of the Loon by Kathy-jo Wargin and The Loon's Necklace retold by William Toye. The craft will be a loon collage.
Uruapan, Mexico - Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin by Duncan Tonatiuh. The craft will be paper plate maracas.
Kaizuka, Japan - Peach Boy and other Tales. The craft will be origami
Iksan, Korea - New Clothes for New Year's Day by Hyun-Joo Bae. The craft will be a paper fan.
LIVE ENTERTAINMENT: Throughout the afternoon in the ROTUNDA ROOM including students from many of the local elementary schools, will begin with TAIKO DRUMMERS from El Marino Language School opening up the afternoon at 1 p.m. in front of the Veterans Building. Enjoy the music of Canada performed by Ronnie Jayne and dances from Mexico performed by Grupo FolkloricoTzintzuni.
SILENT AUCTION: In the Rotunda Room including specific country themed baskets with items from Culver City and each of the sister cities as well as specialty items - SONY Tablet, one night stay at the Culver Hotel in a Junior Suite with parking and breakfast included and much more. Auction will continue at the evening’s dinner and those only attending the afternoon program will be able to indicate a maximum bid, which will be offered by proxy. Winner need not be present.